Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Das Rally - Hamburg, NY

There were 6100 MOA members registered for this year's rally. Early attendees are requested to do volunteer work in advance of the official rally days. I arrived just after 9am on Monday. I had already organized a volunteer assignment helping to make signs. I had no idea there were so many signs required.

Arriving early allowed me to snag a prime campsite in the tree line where there was some shade as opposed to the open field. As you can see, there was a farm right behind the tree line.


Every morning, from 6 to 10, coffee was available. Donations went to a charity.


The campground was not very full at this time, but most of these folks were well-known MOA Ambassadors.


There were a large number of BMW trikes.


I saw a trailer holding a few classic bikes.




An open field would soon fill up.







There was some entertainment every night. This Creole singer conducted a Gumbo cookout with audience members invited to stir the pot. This lady was very entertaining.


The Sherpa tent company rents out these tents as a sort of temporary hotel. You just ride in and there is your tent, cot, and everything else.




You have to expect a little weather. Quite the blow came in at about 1 am and blew down my tent. Luckily, it popped up again with a little encouragement. I had to reset the guy lines and went back to sleep. In the morning, I saw some other damage.


The Beer Tent area suffered no damage.




And, bikes just kept rolling in.



If you waited later than 6 am to get your shower, you had to line up. I tried to shower between 4 and 5 am and never had to wait. In addition to these showers, there were two semi-trailers with 16 stalls each. I preferred to use them.


This was my first rally and I really enjoyed it.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like so much fun ... Even with the tent catastrophe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a surprise to find your tent collapsed on top of you at 1 30 am. But it has a central long ridge and 3 hoops so raising the ridge a foot or so, the whole tent resumed shape. I had not done the guy lines right, a new tent, 4 person size, the neighbors called it the Hilton...

      Loved it, along with the Luxury Lite cot... Decadent.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like ' glamping' to me.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I forgot to mention the aluminum Joey chair. New. Folds up into a small bag and it works great. I found it more comfortable than the more expensive Helinox chair.

      And, I did not do any cooking, not even heating water since coffee was available.

      Look, at my age, camping is unusual anyway Except, I was sort of a youngun at this rally...lots of folks older than me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Bought my first BMW in 2011 after the annual rally. 2012 saw my June ride to Vancouver Island and back, so I was not ready for a July rally.

      If you recall, 2013 was the Pneumonia year...

      2014 saw me returning from my second ride to the Pacific and my visit with Bob.

      2015 was Down East and writing off the 2011 RT.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is a lot of people. A semi with showers sounds like an interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was superb. It had a long Infinity drain along the wet side and the floor was generally dry, sort of.

      Early meant no waiting.

      Delete
  4. I heard that next year it was going to be in Salt Lake City. I may need to add that to our road trip calendar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seriously thinking of it. I am being encouraged by the Sign chairman to join his team again. I would be pleased to meet up with you if you are going, so please do let me know.

      Delete
  5. I went back and increased the size of the pics so they are easier to see.

    ReplyDelete