Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Suzanne and Jeff had a wedding...

The event is over, and it was a wild success!

The photographer was a Canadian expat, originally from Winnipeg, now renting his house in Chilliwack, who lives and works here in Hawaii.

The official who conducted the wedding is an American who is one of those gentle persons who respects the occasion, takes an interest in the people, and who did a fine job. He conducted the ceremony with respect to Hawaiian rituals. Done on the beach, it was a small group of us who enjoyed that ceremony, its informality, beautiful simplicity, and exquisite sincerity.

I have never enjoyed a wedding so much. I know Suzanne and Jeff had a great time - when you look at the pictures, you will see this, I'm sure.

You will also see the antics of Emma and Becky. They were the models for some sunset photos last week and they are natural models. They know how to have fun. Not for formal posing for us photographers, no, for being young and exuberant, and playing off one another, just went for it. They knew they were being funny, and wanted to make Suzanne and Jeff smile and laugh while the pro did his portraits and while I captured the overall scene to share with all of us, you, whoever wants to celebrate this event with us. They even co-opted Ryan into the fun.

I told Dianne I thought I took about 100 shots. That was an estimate that would have made this shoot the largest, longest, most technical, most equipment intensive I ever attempted. Yes, I made mistakes. But by shooting in RAW mode, and using DxO as an editor, I was able to recover most of the errors. And, the number of deletions of out of focus shots was very small, for the first time ever. The Flickr album has 147 shots; you can see them here: The Wedding Album

And, my favourite photograph is:



There is a saying that it does not matter what camera you have, you will take the same pictures. I was beginning to believe that. It scared me right down to my toes. I felt I had topped out. Where was the fearless and good photographer that my friends relied on to take photos at their weddings back in 1970 and 1980? I did a creditable job with an Olympus Pen D half-frame 35mm camera, a Minolta SRT-100, and a Minolta XD. I have done only a fair to middling job with a set of Nikons, a D80, a D90, and now, finally with my 6 month old Nikon D7200 I have my photographic mojo back and I am delighted it happened in time for my daughter's wedding to Jeff. It's not just the adjustments on the camera, but the adjustments possible in the editor I use, DxO. It takes a while and a lot of mistakes until you start to get it right!

There is a story to how the shot above was taken. I read a  book by the master of fill-flash, Joe McNally. He knows Nikon stuff and photography in general, and leaned it the hard way. At dusk, with a water background, he suggests you setTungsten light White Balance on your camera, as per indoor incandescent lightbulbs (before LEDs), which makes the sky and water nicely much bluer. Alas, it makes skin blue too. You need to use a low-powered flash to light the skin, and that flash has to have a gel filter, a special orange (CTO), to make the skin look right. Sounds simple, it's not, but damn, he is right, it works!

And, if you want to see the rest, go to my Flickr site which is:

The Wedding Albumn


I hope you like the shots from this significant (to our family) event. We all did. And, the filet mignon at Ruth's Chris was quite tasty.

8 comments:

  1. Nice use of fill-in flash. How is the low light performance of the 7200? I was thinking at one time moving to the 810 just for better low light performance thinking that I needed to move to a full frame sensor. I'm on the road now w/questionable Internet so I haven't looked at your HI photos yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to stick with DX format as I did not want to buy a set of new lenses. Max ISO is 25600! Good noise performance at 1600, but you would want to clean it up in an editor with good noise removal feature. I am assuming RAW files, because you can't fix JPG's very well, not enough bits.

      I bought the D7200 because it is a great improvement over the D90. I bought the 35mm f1.8 lens for the wedding and used only it. Knew things were going to be fast moving and did not want to fiddle with the zoom. It worked out well and I like the sharpness and large apature.

      Delete
    2. I have a D60 and 800 is barely acceptable. I guess sensors have improved somewhat. I have a 35mm and a 50mm both f1.8 but I miss the VR (or rather my pictures tell me that it is a feature I need). For me, it's good for a couple of stops slower shutter speed.

      Delete
    3. Yes, sensors have improved hugely since the D60 was new. With the new cameras, the higher ISO allows you to use higher shutter speeds without the need for VR. I have VR on both my zooms and really like that feature of course. I can't get critically sharp pics without a tripod even with VR. Not too bad at 270mm with VR, but not critically sharp. Not any more.

      Delete
  2. It was 1982 Ed....and yes great photography then and now...JohnB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I remember it well and it does not seem that far back!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos Ed. I am sure they will be pleased, as you should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to have liked the set. I will do more processing on any they like, or give them copies of the original files. They really like the shots of the kids fooling around.

      Delete