Friday, March 11, 2016

Enjoying Photography

I have a new appreciation for how hard it is to take stunning pics with a strong wow factor.

These shots might not quite make that grade but they are the best of recent days attempts at sunset and sunrise.


Wednesday afternoon was windy, so we were at the house near sunset. Pretty much a grab shot but I was trying to get the metering right. I had been given some advice to meter about a third of the frame from the sun and it seemed to work.


Venus over Mauna Kea, just after 0600. I was not expecting this at all. The smallest bumps on the mountain below Venus and to the right are the observatory domes, Keck and others. Pretty hard to see on my laptop; hope your monitor gives better results.




As you can see, today there were few clouds in the sky. The sun is about to rise, but when it does, it is pretty well just a circle with little of interest. Maybe tomorrow will yield a better shot.

At least I have found a nearby location that is promising. Will finesse the exact spot tomorrow and see what happens.

I am enjoying getting up and out and watching the sunrise. Did not expect to see Venus right over the mountain. Will get there just a bit earlier tomorrow and see how the big lens fares. I'm hoping to get Venus and the domes tightly together.




2 comments:

  1. Nice shots.

    Reminds me of Maui last fall. Pure magic, especially at the top of the Haleakala crater. Sadly we didn't drag ourselves out of bed at 4:00 a.m. to catch the sunrise, but it was still one of the most special places I have been lucky to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not 4, got to sleep in late, until 0515!

    ReplyDelete