Tuesday, August 18, 2015

2015 Trip East - Day 14

At Home!

Ok, I flew home from Moncton today on Porter Airlines.

Yesterday morning, the damage assessor assigned by the insurance company drove from Nova Scotia to Moncton and inspected the bike. He declared to me that the cost to repair was such that the bike was going to be assessed as a total loss. I was not needed in Moncton and could go home.

So, I went to U Haul, bought a few cardboard boxes, sealing tape, and some parachute cord. Then, I put the top box and the aerostitch suit into the box and filled the remaining space with a bunch of clothes and other things I had with me into the box until it was filled. All the rest went into the tank bag and my flat laptop sleeve. I taped the box and used the cord to make handles. It felt a bit heavy, much as a large suitcase would.

At the airport, I paid for one checked bag and an overweight charge. $125 and change. A bit of a rip, but all airlines are doing it. Happy to pay for it. Took a cab from the Island Airport.

At home, Dianne and I enjoyed some wine and cheese.

So, in a few days I will know what the insurance company offer is going to be.

Until then, I am just going to get back into the normal routine, but no riding for a while.

10 comments:

  1. That's really unfortunate but at least you won't have to wait months for the repair and always wonder what was missed. And did it make that sound before. I wonder what's causing that vibration...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it would be a major rebuild. Metal from the plain bearings are all over the inside of the engine. It would require a surgically clean teardown and replacement of many things. A new engine would be a better way. But, that is expensive.

    My garage looks pretty empty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A disappointing end to the riding season for sure. At least there was wine and cheese and wonderful company waiting at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all of that is true. Hope to hear a bit more about process today, but the settlement offer timing is not known by me yet.

      Delete
  4. Ed

    I hope they give you a fair replacement value. Again though, I am glad it was the bike that was that was broken and not you! Will you be thinking another Beemer or something else?

    BTW the boots I have are amazing and I ordered them from Blackfoot Motosports in Calgary. They make a mens version called the M Star. Some guys however if their feet are small buy the Lady Road Stars or the lady pilot gtx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are fair. Really happy I did not crash. Opinion seems to indicate coming to an upright stop with a fully oiled rear tire was unusual.

      Delete
  5. Home sweet home must feel very good, even if the garage is empty.

    It surely sucks for your bike to be a total loss, but in the fullness of time it makes for an entertaining story, and more "experience". And "experience" is what you get, when you were expecting something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope that does not apply to the settlement!

      Delete
  6. Wow! A total loss. At least you are at home with your lovely wife and can contemplate what bike to purchase next. Not that you were even thinking of a replacement before this mishap.

    Glad you are whole and unhurt in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. The new water cooled RTs are very nice, a bit narrower and seat height a bit lower too. I will be looking at them.

      Delete