Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Days 13, 14

Day 13 -Sunday, July 06

John is one of the best mechanics around, always has been. It goes without saying that he uses a torque wrench for all critical fasteners and does research on the correct settings before setting out to do a job. What is especially noticeable is his concern for cleanliness. Starts with nitrile gloves for his hands, paper and cloth towels to set out clean areas on the painted floor and to wipe tools and work areas. Brake cleaner to clean the area to be worked on and the bits and pieces removed and carefully placed in clear sight.

So, the bike soon had fresh oil and a fresh filter. It would look like it may have used a quart of oil on the trip out, which is normal for this engine at 25,000 km. It's said they are barely broken in at that mileage.

(Looked at it today, after sitting for over 12 hours after a run discussed in the Day 14 post, and not a drop of oil under it. There was one drop of oil visible after my excellent dealer did an oil change before the trip - might just have been a wee slip when adding the oil. We will see if the planned inspection is still required when I return.)

So, thank you John. A perfect job as always.

In the evening, we had dinner at the Quamichan Inn, an older establishment that is elegant. Prime Rib, Salmon and Shrimp garnished Caesar Salad, and small Filet Mignon were our dishes. Everyone was pleased with the quality. Service was very good as well.

So, another great day.

Day 14 - Monday, July 14

On our return to the house last evening, the air conditioning had failed. So, we needed to stay near the house in case the repair fellow needed to inspect it and Carole had to take one of the cats to the vet. We were able to take a short ride to Crofton for a small lunch. On the way back, John took me around the subdivision-on-a-hill where he lives. I took a 17 minute video, edited to 8 minutes and offer it here:


The early part shows typical riding roads just outside of Duncan BC. Speeds are low because of the traffic, intersections, driveways, and deer. We did not see any deer, but Carole did that very day.

The later few minutes are a tour of the very nice homes on the hillside. I hope you enjoy the video.

This video was painful to edit and publish. I use the free Go Pro Studio software to do the rough editing. You can take the file from the camera (17 minutes) and cut it up into say 6 clips totalling 8 minutes. Then you can convert the 6 clips into a Digital Intermediate using the Go Pro codec - processing magic, they claim. Except, sometimes the conversion just peters out. I have not figured it out fully, but I may have made a finger slip somewhere. I have an idea where.

In any case, once the errors start they just multiply. I spent way too many hours to get a final conversion. At that point, I used TrakAx to convert to the YouTube format and began an upload. This takes a while. First, the program "parses" the video coming in, then "renders" the video, then begins a lengthy slow upload. At some point, the internet connection was lost. Who knows why. Trying to recover was a waste of time so I did a direct, slower upload that did not complete by the time I went to bed. It did complete overnight. This was frustrating, but I think I learned some things in the process.

Do let me know how you like the video.

7 comments:

  1. Ed:

    I use Adobe Premium elements for video editing. No conversions necessary. It reads the GoPro files straight from the camera and no conversion is necessary to upload to Youtube either. My files go directly as rendered. With my i7 4 core laptop an 8 min video would render in about 9 minutes, nearly 1:1 ratio My old i3 would be 1:4 or more, so 8 minutes would take 32 minutes

    Nice job on the bike maintenance. I have to check my oil consumption. I had an oil change in State College, PA and then rode another 7,000 miles to PEI and back and I never added any oil. My bike has nearly 40K on it now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Go Pro codec is supposed to be optimised for their camera and I have read it compensates for jitter on the bike. Not as good as stabilization equipment, but it does look ok. I have it set for YouTube HD output so it should be ok to upload directly, just takes time.

      My laptop is a 4 core, but TrakAx may not use more than one core. Task Manager says 80% cpu with Go Pro software, but only less than 30% with Track Ax. Will do more research.

      Delete
    2. Ed:

      I only record at 720p60 , not much jitter. Good enough for me. I use a 4 core i7 at home, but my new ultrabook is only an i5, bought it for traveling

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
  2. Nice ride Ed, but I notice the clip before you enter the town (turning right and up the hill) is repeated at least twice. I think I saw the same cyclist going the other way two times maybe three. Let me know if I'm hallucinating. Enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mea Culpa. I was unable to keep the naming of the clips straight and duplicated some. Then, I assembled the clips with some repeats. Still, the best part of the video is the ride through the subdivision, although John liked seeing how visible he is and how nicely the brake and turn signals appear on his new V-Strom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job with the video. It really does show off the Island roads. Thanks for taking the time to take, edit and upload the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete