Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fall Colors Trip

Left Toronto yesterday morning. The 401 was really busy, and when I met up with Rodney, we decided to take the 407 Toll road. At the end of it, we chose to continue East on Hwy 7, which is a two lane highway to Ottawa.

Good choice. In the middle of the week, traffic was very light, no passing hassles at all. The bike is ideal for this kind of road. I had been on 7 many times, but the trees were just turning color, and it was as if it was my first time on it.

Then we hit Ottawa rush hour traffic. Civil servants were heading across the bridges to Quebec, driving with viciousness. Rod and I were heading to his brother's in nearby Buckingham. The clutch hand did not cramp, but came close to it. Th GPS would have taken me there, but Rod led. Our hosts provided beer and we were driven to a sister's home for steak dinner and wine. I contributed a South African Nederburg, one of my favorites, which pleased the wine conessieur brother-in-law.

This morning, we went for a great ride through the Quebec hills and twisties to have breakfast with and additional three of his sisters. He has eight siblings, you see.

Then the best trip via Renfrew to Bancroft. Marvellous scenery. Winding roads, hills and valleys, colored leaves.

More of the same tomorrow. Will try to take some photos, but it can be tricky to find a safe spot to stop. We'll see what we can do.

4 comments:

  1. Ed:

    can't wait to see the changing colours. We don't get that out here. Our trees stay green or go gray during the Winter. Hope your weather co-operates with you and Rodney. speaking of which, did you let him out without finishing your Theater ? or perhaps he is going to do double time when you get back ?

    it's great that you managed to get out for a ride before Winter

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The changing colors are a real treat and I love them. Sometimes they are muted, maybe mostly, but some phototogs seek out the best and publish them. Alas, you have to do a lot of work for that. For me, it's ok to ride through them.

      Rodney says he will leave the painting and baseboard carpentry to me, and is soon off to Florida. He says Hello, Bob!

      The latest I have ridden here is Dec 12 some years back when it ie as 12C.

      Can almost always ride in Oct, and love it, especially with the electric vest and the RT's heated grips and seat. Hey, I waited 30 years for this kind of kit...




      Delete
  2. I've only had the misfortune of getting stuck in a traffic jam while on the bike one time, but it was enough to convince me to avoid them any way that I can. It wasn't so much the left hand but the heat from the air cooled engine and the slowly dropping battery voltage that had me concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One Time!

    Ok, but this is is not the way it is in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete