Friday, September 27, 2013

Fall Colors Trip 2

We stayed in Bancroft last night. Morning saw brisk temperatures and fog. By 10 am, all was sunny and blue skies, so off we went.

Twenty km north we turned left onto Peterson Road. Twisty, hilly, wonderful fall colors. Will post a movie, if it actually worked... . At some point, south to Harcourt, then on to Gooderham. We were just south of Algonquin Park, the premiere park in Ontario. At a little coffee shop, the owner told us we hit the peak of the fall colors, which is a bit early this year.

South from there, via the 507, we enjoyed super twisties, and more colors. 41 km of great riding road. Saw many bikes heading North, two up quite frequently, so folks were taking Friday off to have a mini-vacation. I figure the word had spread about the color peak.

On the 507, there was a near miss, with a mouse. The mouse was racing across the road from the left as I approached. About a foot from my front tire, the mouse put on the brakes, turned and raced back, staying alive. I saw it close, Rodney from behind. He said it was hilarious and I agree. This was the second incident for me in two days.

Yesterday, a bird was walking on the road crossing from the right as I approached. It was moving slowly and I knew it had plenty of time to avoid my front tire. Except, it chose suicide by BMW. Rodney saw it all, I just felt a little crunch. Apparently, the bird was ejected left at high speed. When fueling this morning, I found a feather between two parts of the fairing. Sorry, Dear birdie, I meant no harm.

From the bottom of the 507, we passed Lindsay, down the 35 to the 57 side road. Another fine road. Took it to Port Perry, where we visited the Tim Horton's there. A favorite spot for motorcyclists. Three BMWs and we must have chased the HDs away.

From there, urbanity took over. Traffic and road work. Broke the trip to visit my daughter, who is doing well after a bit of surgery last week. Then, back home.

All in all three days of riding, a bit over 1100 km. and, just turned over the 20,000 km mark. Ow. This service will hurt a bit... .

Nice trip, and nice to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment