Saturday, August 17, 2013

Another Farkle - All Bob's Fault!

Having Bob visit was a real treat, but an expensive one. You see, he showed me his Givi Blade Tech 47 litre hard case top box with lock and instant removal system. Had to have one of those, so my bike now looks like this:

20130812_7240

And, there the bike sits, for a while, during the construction of a home theatre in the basement. [Blog entry to come soon.]

Installation was not the 10 minutes advertised by Bob. He must be a mechanical genius, or perhaps the R1200R has more room under the luggage rack to reach the mounting straps and nuts. I had to fiddle and force my hand and wrench under the rack, but got it done.

Before

Bobscoot & Related

Givi Plate retaining strap

There are 4 of these.

Bobscoot & Related

After some time, I attached two of them at the front of the Givi plate, let them dangle, fed each through the holes in the BMW luggage rack, reached awkwardly under to fasten the nylok nuts, and just snugged them up. Since the nylock nuts resist tightening as much as loosening, this is not the easiest thing to do.

After - Givi plate attached

Bobscoot & Related

Not shown: there is a flat cover plate that conceals the grated area of the Givi mounting plate shown in the picture above.

Functional Storage

The box is suitably large:

Bobscoot & Related

Bobscoot & Related

Looks Great!

Bobscoot & Related

When I picked it up, the parts guy said this was his personal favourite Givi model. I too think some of the other designs are a bit too rounded, and kind of plain as a result.

Conclusion

Guess Bob is not really too much at fault for getting me to part with my money. He did all the leg work in finding such a bargain. I was able to get this box for $289.95, tax included! And, that was about $100 less than Bob paid. Some dealers seem to sell them for much more than the Givi recommended price.


4 comments:

  1. I've been looking at the Givi top cases since I want the ability to lock my helmet inside something. My Nolan has a large shell and doesn't fit in my side cases like my HJC did. Right now, I have an early '80s Luftmeister top case that fits with the age of the bike but it is too small for even one helmet let alone two.

    It looks good… no wonder Bob wanted to trade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed:

    I have no bodywork under my topcase rack so it is easy to put a socket on those bolts. I lived out of my topcase during my trip and it endured torential rains. You should like it

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave it to Bob to find the perfect accessory....I just wish the Givi hard case looked good on a cruiser (vanity you know). I am going to look into Givi soft saddle bags though, my friend Ron has a set and I like the look of them even if they aren't 'water proof.'

    ReplyDelete