Friday, May 17, 2013

First Ride of Season!

Late first ride this year. I have been doing a lot of walking and yard work exercise and am feeling very good these days. Weather improved today (17 C) and half the deck is stained, so ...

I took the bike out of the garage. Noticed how easy it was to raise the sidestand and deploy it again. That's due to the Touratech foot extender. Damn fine item.

Put on the Roadcrafter. I've lost twenty ponds and it still fits. In fact, fits great.

Motored off. As usual, very careful out the cul-de-sac and over the main road to the traffic light. Foot down securely, then off for a ride.

Not an exciting ride and only 40 km long, but it felt fine. At first, I thought the hip cramps would attack, as they always do on the first ride, but I was able to hold them off. Never had a problem on the rest of the ride. That is likely due to the Touratech 20mm bar risers. Modest rise and no additional rearward movement but felt quite good. Not really noticeable - that's probably an indication of correct rise. Sure felt good.

On the way back, I stopped at the local Go train station ( commuter train). On Sundays, it's empty and great for practicing low speed tight turns. I was surprised how empty it was today, a Friday before a long weekend. It had lots of empty space at the north end, so...

The idea is to keep your head up and crank your head right around to look where you want to end up - not to look dead ahead and down at the road. I always had trouble with this before. No trouble today. The bar risers let me sit straight up, or almost, and I found it much easier to turn my head. Much tighter turns, felt really in control. Boy, it felt great! The bike feels a bit smaller and more nimble. Don't know if 20mm can make that much of a difference, but if it does, I am grateful. I'll be back there on Sunday, for more practice. If I can learn to really manoever the bike better in low speed tight turns, I'll be very happy. It's got to be the improved riding position.

The GPS was positioned a bit differently. A barbell connector-type of RAM arm lets me use a small arm and a large arm to be able to move it around. I am still experimenting. May get a second large arm. Not really long and it may cause too much vibration. We'll see. The GPS is likely always going to block a portion of the speedometer, but that is acceptable. May use a different handlebar bolt hole for the RAM ball mount to move it a bit left, providing no interference with the clutch hydraulic reservoir results. Or not.

So, the farkles are a great success!

And, yes, for the observant, the secret farkle is still secret, for a few more days.

6 comments:

  1. Ed sounds like a great first ride! They don't have to be long to be wonderful. Glad you are back on your feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dar!
      And ... Thanks for adding my blog to your list of blogs followed.

      Delete
  2. Ed:

    I just received your message. I also added you to my blog list

    I'm glad you managed to get your first ride of the season. I have bar risers on my Beemer and they move the bars back a bit so I don't have to lean forward as much.

    I also have those bar end Ram extension which I use for my GoPro, most likely the same set up as you are using for your GPS. I have a long arm and then the double ball, and then a short arm and it seems steady enough for video. I had to do it this way so my Hero can record over the windshield and make it appear as if it were floating over the road

    If your GPS is still causing some problems, my offer to take it off your hands "still stands". I would consider it a birthday present . . .

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, my GPS is working flawlessly these days...must know a second home is available and is being careful not to cause any fuss. So, best I can do is say Happy Birthday.

      Best you should place an order for one soon. It takes a bit of familiarization time on any new unit, and you want to be comfortable with it before your trip. I guarantee you will love it.

      How about some details on the GoPro? Photos on mounting, plus what settings? Pure video, time-lapse ( what interval?). I'm interested in one myself.

      And, thanks for adding me to your list.

      Delete
    2. Ed:

      I shoot only video. Set for 720p60 fps

      There is a sale right now with Future shop $449. black model with class ten memory card and spare battery.

      I paid this amount for the next lower model. It comes with the remote control

      I can't justify that much money for a GPS so I continue to use a car model and use the ziplock bag waterproof method

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
    3. Bob, thanks for the info on the camera.

      Just my opinion, but the GPS is so valuable on a long ride, I'd always go for the waterproof and rugged Zumo. I like the ability to set the speedometer to mph when in the US. And, with proper mounting, I can rely on viewing it when in heavy traffic without much distraction. Helps in finding urban motels or navigating some of those tricky freeway interchanges. Not to mention locating gas stations, etc. I suppose you might have a good mounting worked out. My first GPS, I had it under the plastic map pocket of my tank bag. One day, it got so hot the screen cleared. It was ok once it cooled.

      Delete