Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Kingdom for a Bolt

Went to Home Depot, Rona, Cdn Tire, 2 Marine stores, 3 bike shops (including my BMW dealer), Brafasco, and Fastenal. Talked to two friends in BC and one in Florida - for a stainless steel socket head cap screw, M8-1.25 x 70 or 75 mm. No luck!

Then, I went to the Fastenal web site. I had visited the store and saw nothing in the bins. Did not talk to the clerk. EBay had some for $6 + $17 shipping - and wait 10 days too! But, by phoning the local store and giving them a SKU from the web site, I got a special order. Will get them next Monday. One 70mm and one 75mm.

Yea!

This bolt will go through a RAM B-367U ball, the left bar casting, the 20mm Touratech bar riser, and into the triple tree. The ball allows mounting of my Zumo 550 GPS.

Yea! Success!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an aweful amount of work for a bolt. $17 bucks for shipping where the heck is it coming from? Good grief!

    How are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw the surgeon yesterday. He looked at the new x-ray and asked how I was feeling. I told him in detail. He said that the x-ray confirmed I was telling the truth - I am basically ok, just recovering from the surgery.

      Stay active, he said.

      And, there will be inevitable scar tissue. So the lung will never be 100%, but close to it.

      Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  2. Dar

    We get hosed for shipping charges to Canada. I need to buy a new seat for my R1200R. I wanted the regular one so I found one on eBay for a BMW dealer in Atlanta, GA. They wanted $70. used but not used, off a new bike the customer didn't want. But they wanted $260. shipping to Canada, or $150. to ship to Bellingham.

    I also sent a $2. item to Toronto. It was too thick for the envelope so Canada Post charged me $18.60 for shipping by parcel rate, and that was the cheapest way to send a $2. item.

    Ed:

    I could have found one locally and hand delivered it to you this summer. If you don't get the BOLT, then just send me your Zumo 550. I had an M8 bolt in my hands yesterday but it was Hex head

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I thank you for the offer of the bolt. I really need to get riding practice before I ride to where ever we meet up.

      And, I love my Zumo 550, so I must decline your offer to take it off my hands. (LOL)

      Delete