Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cardo Scala Rider G9 Intercom

Got this Sept 12 along with the Shoei helmet. So far, so good.

The clamp is not wide enough to fit on the Neotec, so I used the adhesive plate method and waited the recommended 24 hours. I doubt if that is really necessary, but I normally don't have great luck with glues. Seems secure.

There is a neck skirt which was easy to remove. Then, I removed the cheek pads, and the foam speaker recess well covers. The inner liner was next. All easy.

Used supplied alcohol pads to clean the speaker wells, and attached the Velcro pads in them. The well covers have two parts - a flat plate with three tabs (kept) and smaller round foam pad (removed to allow max audio levels from the speakers)

Fitted the unit to the clamp and fitted the various liner parts. All easy.

Went to Richard's and paired easily to his G4 equivalent SRC helmet unit. Easy and we could talk very well. Next is the road test.

Well, the road test was revealing. We had intercom trouble at first, but then we could talk! But, Richard's SRC (a G4 in disguise) would cut off the iPhone if we talked, and he wanted to listen to music from the phone.

[We hope that this problem can be fixed by pressing the MP3 button / button "A" as reported on the BMW MOA forum - will advise when we can verify or not.]

I could get GPS audio prompts just fine. They interrupted the MP3 files I was playing on the Garmin Zumo 550. But, then I could not override them to trigger an intercom call to Richard. Bummer! The GPS audio takes priority over intercom audio according to the G9 manual. So, no music from this source. The new Nano has Bluetooth, so this will be a Christmas present request and all should be well.

The phone (Samsung SGH-T639) seemed to connect, but the Garmin kept putting up screens cycling through the notice "Phone Connected / Phone Disconnected", so I gave up on it. Bummer.

Good News!

The phone is now working ok. In the car, I had the phone in hand when pairing and noticed a request by the phone to say yes to allowing audio to the Zumo. After that, all is ok. I had become convinced there was a firmware problem with the older Zumo, but seems to be ok.

So, only the issue with Richard and his reconnection problem. I'm hopeful.

I will advise.



1 comment: