Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Samsung Issues and Dodge Delight


I’m having some Samsung problems.

In late October, I bought a 65 inch Samsung smart LED TV. I bought it from Best Buy, and because it was quite expensive I decided to take the extended warranty. I don’t normally do that, but it may turn out that that was a good decision. A couple of nights ago, I was watching the Olympics and much to my surprise, the TV would repeatedly shut itself off and restart again. Now recently I had had trouble with my receiver, and I figured this was the receiver acting up again. I didn’t really want to disconnect the receiver, since it had so many speaker wires and HDMI connections, but eventually I did. I was mentally prepared to take it back for repair, for the second time. Much to my surprise however, when I connected the cable box to the television directly and turned it all on, the problem was still present. In fact it soon got worse in that the TV would cycle through its power on and off cycles with no opening logos on the screen at all. Time to invoke the Best Buy warranty.

When I called their number, I was transferred to a company in British Columbia that does their service work or at least does service work for Samsung during the first year of purchase. That would’ve made the call on Monday evening, and a very nice man arranged for a diagnostic call on Friday sometime between 9 AM and 4 PM. I didn’t like the term diagnostic call, as I really would’ve preferred a repair call, for the reason that I’m going to explain now.

It turns out that two years ago we bought a large and very beautiful Samsung refrigerator, a side-by-side door unit that at the time was their largest capacity. This was when we were doing our kitchen renovation. For two years, the refrigerator worked wonderfully. Then last Labor Day it started to give us problems by running continually. We were able to get a diagnostic call after about a week. Are you starting to get a pattern? The diagnosis was that a certain part was needed but alas the part was not in stock, and in fact would not be in stock for many weeks, until the end of October in fact. This gave Diane an opportunity to buy a second refrigerator which we put in the basement next to the upright freezer. So, after about a week without a refrigerator, we were able to struggle through but it was inconvenient.

It looks to me as if the TV will go through the same pattern. I’ll let you know.

Now it’s true that any piece of electronics can go through what is called an infant mortality issue. Failures occur in modern electronics either very early in their life, or very late in their life when their normal lifetime comes to an end. If you draw a graph, it looks very much like a bathtub. Lots of failures early, then along period with a very low failure rate, followed by the end of service life rise in failure rate. The thing is, I’ve gotten very used to having consumer-electronics simply not fail. Oh, I should mention the refrigerator had two problems, one of which was an electronic problem, the other was a mechanical part. I think the same statistical issues apply.

On a more positive note, my Dodge 2005 Caravan has given me very few service issues. However, this week, at 103,000 km, it did need a brake job. This would be its first brake job. New front rotors and pads were needed. However the rear drum brakes only needed a little bit of cleaning and adjusting. As you can see, I’m pretty easy on the brakes. I tend to avoid high speeds, and leave lots of room between me and the vehicle ahead. That’s something I wish everybody would do, not just in the winter, but all around the year because it tends to allow everyone to get where they’re going a little faster. It’s also a lot less stressful.

I’ll provide an update when I know a little bit more. Until then, I’ll have to struggle along watching the older 50 inch Samsung rear projection TV in the family room seated on my wife’s new La-Z-Boy sofa, the one with the electric motorized recliner. Life is tough...

11 comments:

  1. Edward:

    are you absolutely sure that your remote ON/off button isn't stuck DOWN. Just checking . . . I'm like you, I want a repair man to make a house call, not a phone call.

    hope they sort it out on your first call. Can you do a "reset" yourself ?

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the remote is not the problem. And, there is no switch on the TV itself. All control is done by the remote. When I plug the TV in, the red light showing ac power is present comes on, then goes out as the TV tries to come on, then comes back on, then goes out...

      The "Smart TV" logo used to come on during the cycling, but no longer does. Definitely an internal problem.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a power supply problem. I'm suspect that the remote tech support will try to make it your problem not theirs. Maybe I'm too cynical....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could be a PS issue. Will see what the tech says on Friday. Hope he brings parts, or that will be a further delay.

      Delete
  3. Ed:

    I just googled samsung 65 led on and off by itself" and I got lots of hits, like this one:

    http://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-le37a656-problem-turns-off-and-on-by-itself.981923/

    seems to be a common problem with various sizes. I would push for a new one. I am sure that Samsung knows about this. I hope I don't have a problem as we also have several Samsung models

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the model you found. Mine is a Samsung UN65F6300 and the forum does not seem to have any search results for it.

      But, thanks so much for trying.

      Delete
  4. Ed:

    see post #14: Samsung has to replace the touch sensitive bezel. It's a 15 min job for their service tech

    http://www.avforums.com/threads/help-samsung-le-a656-keeps-loosing-changing-the-image-source-automatically.805868/

    See. I am looking out for you. Hope this helps

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As per comment above, there are only remote controls. This is one way to save money I suppose. First TV I've owned that requires a working remote. A Remote is usually a non-required option, for convenience. In any case, I don't think it is the remote.

      Delete
  5. Bummer about the new TV. We bought a 40" (it seems so small now) Samsung LCD 7 years ago and so far it has been trouble-free. Knock on wood.

    Hope they get it fixed and/or replaced without too many issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Generally, I have been a fan of Samsung. I hope this current set of problems is not a pattern. Sometimes companies lose their way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, I've always found the more electronic gadgetry, the more things there are to go wrong - not to mention the attitude of the 'disposable' society that we live in. Our electronic gizmos are outdated before we drive home and unpack them - and the manufactures don't give a hoot beyond a year. Good Luck with your TV. They say manufacturing is totally robotic these days and there are no Monday cars or Friday cars, those would be lemons - but I don't know, seems worse now - it's luck of the draw, any day could be a bad day! (Hal, are you in a good mood today?)

    ReplyDelete